How to become an anesthesiologist ?
The job of anesthesiologist resuscitator attracts you ? If you are a medical student or a future medical student, here is all the information you need to one day work with patients who need surgery.
What is an anesthesiologist ?
If you look at the list of job offers for anesthesiologists on sites such as Appelmedical, you will see that this is a highly sought-after profession !
The reason for this is that medical students are abandoning this branch of the profession while the demand is increasing. Hospitals and clinics are sorely lacking in anesthesiologists.
However, being an anesthesiologist is an exciting job and we explain why !
The anesthesiologist intervenes before, during and after surgery :
Upstream where he receives the patient in consultation to evaluate his state of health and choose the most suitable method of anesthesia to put him to sleep. During this appointment, the anaesthetist reassures the person concerned about the general anaesthesia and its procedure and also informs him/her of the risks and possible side effects.
Before surgery, the anesthesiologist puts the patient to sleep with an intravenous injection of anesthetic products or with an anesthetic gas that the patient breathes in. He/she is the one who checks the patient’s vitals (breathing and heart) throughout the operation. And he is ready to intervene in case of worries to resuscitate him.
In the operating room, the anesthesiologist works in close collaboration with the doctors and surgeons and is assisted by a nurse anesthetist during the surgical act.
Once the operation is over, he is the one who control the patient’s awakening and ensures the post-operative follow-up (he/she delivers pain medication in particular).
How to become an anesthesiologist ?
11 years of medical studies are necessary to become an anesthesiologist. After obtaining a scientific baccalaureate, the aspiring anesthesiologist goes on to study medicine for 6 years.
- At the end of the first year of medical studies called PACES (first year common to health studies), the student must pass a very selective competition to continue his studies as an anesthesiologist.
- At the end of his 6th year, the student takes the national exams (ECN).
- It will be necessary to complete 5 years of internship and to obtain a DES (Diploma of Specialized Studies) in anesthesia and intensive care or a DESC (Diploma of Complementary Specialized Studies) in medical resuscitation in order to finally be able to practice as an anesthesiologist.
What is the salary of this doctor ?
At the beginning of his career, an anesthesiologist earns about 4 000 € gross per month to reach more than 6 500 € at the end of his career. Some anaesthetists who work in private practice can double this salary.
What skills are most sought after? ?
The profession of intensive care anesthesiologist requires great human qualities and a great composure. This professional must be able to intervene in case of complications, especially for unscheduled operations (cardiac arrest, drug intoxication…).
Here are some essential skills and attitudes to become a good anesthesiologist:
- Be reactive to be able to analyze the situation quickly during emergencies.
- Possess multidisciplinary knowledge, both medical and surgical, in order to make a complete diagnosis of vital functions and to treat vital dysfunctions rapidly.
- Know the diseases, syndromes and symptoms that require reinforced surveillance.
- To be able to prioritize information to avoid unnecessary examinations.
- Being a good listener and knowing how to recognize one’s personal limits so as not to jeopardize the patient’s safety.
- Know how to work in a team, guide, supervise or delegate anesthesia management.
- To know the infectious risks in the intensive care unit and to take the necessary precautions.
- Be able to manage conflicts and crises for optimal patient care.
- Humanism: this resuscitation professional must show compassion and concern for the well-being of patients, their families and the health care team.
Becoming an anesthesiologist is a long journey. But between the anesthesia consultation, the intervention in the operating room during the’day hospitalization or not and the postoperative follow-up in the recovery room, it is one of the most complete hospital jobs. The career as an anesthesiologist can then move on to research in the context of his hospital activities as well as for university organizations.
He/she can also become a teacher in a hospital center, but also go on humanitarian missions.